What a Shame

Well, this is embarrassing.

Only weeks after explaining that I didn't care about the AV referendum, I now find that I'm really pissed off with the result.

I haven't actually changed my position, that "I think AV would give voters slightly more influence than they have now. I am quite unsure as to whether that's a good thing or a bad thing". I think what really has me upset is that it would have have been so interesting to see how party politics would have developed under AV.

Would any of the major parties have split? Would we have got a lot of independents running, and some of them winning? Would the total vote of the three main parties have dropped to about 50%, with several outsiders each picking up 10-20% of 1st preference votes in most constituencies? Now we'll never know. It's like having a favourite TV programme cancelled half way through.

In case that sounds shallow, I should point to a few old posts, where I developed the case that the entertainment value of voting actually outweighs any political value. Because this was back in 2007-8, it applies even if, unlike me today, you do believe that voting has some political value.

Labels: ,